Forum Home Forum Home > RD/RZ workshop > Mechanical Zone
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

1976 rd400 electric schematic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hardcore Biker
Hardcore Biker

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rd400rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1976 rd400 electric schematic
    Posted: 13-October-2011 at 4:37pm
Hi,I decided to convert my 400 race bike to a street bike.I ordered a service manual to help me out with the wiring but it will take about 2 weeks to get it.I was wondering if anyone can post the schematic in the mid time.Thanks
Meglio vivere un giorno da leone che 100 da pecora.
350Bfine View Drop Down
Hardcore Biker
Hardcore Biker

Quote 350Bfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2011 at 6:26pm
There's a nice color schematic posted here.
Tod

'75 RD350B
'84 RZ350L
'84 Kawasaki ZX900 Ninja
Coyote View Drop Down
Death Rider
Death Rider

Quote Coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2011 at 12:39pm
In recently wiring a bike from nothing I realized the the stock wiring is excessively complex.
I can understand how a new bike owner wants a neutral light, blinker lights on the dash, a dash light to come on or go off if the tail light or brake light bulb burns out, backlit gauges and all the other "neat" features on a new bike.
I chose to forgo all the bling wiring and do a basic wiring harness.
It is so much simpler, partly because I used an MZB ignition but also because I left out all the fluff circuits.
I don't even have a speedometer and although I installed the wiring for blinkers, I think I'll leave them off too.
I guess what I am getting at is start with a simple wiring diagram that gets the bike to run, has a kill switch (important!), lights, brake lights and maybe a horn.
Then worry about all the other stuff that you may want later.
You will find that the harness is really quite simple.
Of course I live in a state that has no inspection, so that could be an obstacle for some people.

EDIT: Oh, I see you live in Jersey. The inspection I remember from way back then was a PITA.
I sometimes miss NJ, but not when I remember the 3 hours waiting in line for motor vehicle inspection.

and YMMV,
Dave
A bunch of junk that eats very expensive liquids and parts with disturbing regularity.
                    ON THE CUTTING EDGE OF INSANITY<
Jons RD 400 View Drop Down

Quote Jons RD 400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2011 at 12:00pm
I have a colored copy in a pdf if you still need it, just send me your e-mail!
Jamming Jon
Rd400rider View Drop Down
Hardcore Biker
Hardcore Biker

Quote Rd400rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2011 at 1:03pm
Thanks but another member already posted a link.See the first few posts.
Meglio vivere un giorno da leone che 100 da pecora.
Jons RD 400 View Drop Down

Quote Jons RD 400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2011 at 11:40am
Yep, day late dollar short I didn't read the thread!
Jamming Jon
runmikeyrun View Drop Down
Fanatic
Fanatic

Quote runmikeyrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2011 at 7:44pm
when you get the service manual you might notice the factory wiring diagram is different.  I have a factory manual for my 77 400 and the wiring diagram was way wrong.  The color one linked to above is correct.
yes, it's supposed to smoke and yes, I like the smell!
joe38 View Drop Down

Quote joe38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2011 at 12:13am
Luciano, If you need to use mine as a referance let me know.
Coyote....good news, Jersey eliminated inspecton of motorcycles last August...oh happy day!!!!!!!!
               too bad my current bikes are legal
 Post Reply Post Reply